When we set our goals, we are enthusiastic and want to continue to make progress. However, if you’ve reached a point that you don’t know what your next step should be, I would invite you to take 5 minutes, grab a pen and a piece of paper and ask yourself:
Is my Goal still valid?
You may already have completed the exercise to ask yourself about your reasons for wanting a goal. Check that your goal is still valid. Is it still something that is important for you to work towards or have any circumstances changed that makes a difference to your goals.
If you’re goal is still valid then look at how you all the actions that you have taken to achieve your goal.
Consider the following questions in relation to the action that you have taken:
- What are the things that have worked well?
- What are the things that have not worked well?
Examine your next steps.
Once you have that list, you can examine all the actions and plot them in this four box grid:
- What are the things you are going to STOP doing that are not productive or are not moving you towards your goal? These can be the things that have not worked well so far. Ask yourself the reason for these actions not working / not helping you to make progress towards your goal.
- What are the things you are going to CHANGE slightly in order for them to be more effective in moving you towards your goal? For the things that you think didn’t work too well, ask yourself whether you can change something with these to make it work for you.
- What are the things you are going to CONTINUE doing in order to keep on making progress towards your goal? Consider the things that have been working well that you will continue to do.You can also ask yourself whether there is a more effective way that you could do these things to save you more time?
- What are the things that you are going to START to do in order to keep on making progress towards your goal? Challenge yourself to come up with some other ideas of things that you can do to make more progress OR ask a friend / work colleague for ideas on what else you can do in order to make more progress
Continuously check-in on whether the actions you are taking are getting you closer towards your goal. If not, change something. Remember to check whether your goal is still valid & aim to focus on a max of two important goals to focus on.Be sure to check-in to see if the actions you are taking are getting you closer to your goal. Click To Tweet
If you want to focus on your goals & making progress to achieving them this year, schedule a free intro call here and see how we can get you started.
If you want to watch this as a vlog – check out this video: